Table of Contents
Last week I got the prompt to update my phone (S10e) to LineageOS 19.1. Usually LineageOS can be update from within the OS, but version upgrades require a bit more work. It was obvious what I had to do, but the process was not entirely clear to me. So I logged my steps here. The steps are equivalent for the different S10 versions.
I use Ubuntu when I flash my phone, because I typically run into some driver issue of some sort on Windows.
Most of the information here I gathered from these links:
Updating the firmware #
For this step you will need heimdall.
- Download and unzip the firmware compatible with Android 12 for your model (S10e, S10, S10+).
- Put your phone in download mode:
- Turn off the device
- Hold Volume Down + the Bixby button and plugin the usb cable connecting it to your pc
- In the menu, press ‘Continue’
- Once in download mode, flash the firmware:
(The phone will reboot normally afterwards)
Updating to LineageOS 19.1 #
This step needs adb. I installed it using apt:
sudo apt install adb
- Download the latest build of LineageOS version 19.1 (S10e, S10, S10+)
- Download gapps for Lineage 19.1 (Android 12; MindTheGapps)
- Put the phone in debugging mode
- enable USB debugging entry under Debugging in the developer tools
- I ran into an error running
adb: no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?
- To solve, I put the phone to File transfer mode as recommended here. This prompted the Allow USB debugging? prompt to add my computer’s RSA fingerprint to the phone.
- Put the phone in sideload mode:
adb reboot sideload
- Flash LineageOS 19.1
adb sideload lineage-19.1-20220512-nightly-beyond0lte-signed.zip(replace with your version)
- Flash MindTheGapps
adb sideload MindTheGapps-12.1.0-arm64-20220416_174313.zip
- Reboot phone
Cool! So what’s new? The most obvious to me is the updated UI with enormous clock on my home screen, giant volume and brightness sliders, and the enormous buttons in the pull-down menu.
And Android Auto is working again! 🏎️
Other than that, I haven’t noticed much difference.